Art and Design
Through our teaching of Art , we aim to develop
• The ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations,
convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
• The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
• The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
• The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or
• An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
• The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
• Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
• The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
• The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
• A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
We will do this by giving children the opportunity to develop their artistic skills across the curriculum in the following ways.
|Key Stage 1||Key Stage 2|
|• Use experiences and ideas as the inspiration for artwork.• Share ideas using drawing, painting and sculpture.
• Explore a variety of techniques.
• Learn about the work of a range of artists, artisans and designers.
|• Use experiences, other subjects across the curriculum and ideas as inspiration for artwork.• Develop and share ideas in a sketchbook and in finished products.
• Improve mastery of techniques.
• Learn about the great artists, architects and designers in history.
As children progress through school there are key milestones they are judged against and they are linked to age related expectations at these points in time. We have three key milestone points across the school. we aim for children to achieve. Milestone 1 is expected standard by the end of Year 2, Milestone 2 is the expected standard by the end of Year 4 and Milestone 3 is the expected standard by the end of Year6.
Please click on the link below for details of the learning milestones for art and design.