Through our teaching of French, we aim to develop
- The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
- Fluency in reading.
- Fluency and imagination in writing.
- A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
- A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
- The ability to use language creatively and spontaneously.
- An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
We will do this by giving children the opportunity to develop their language skills in the following ways.
|Key Stage 1||Key Stage 2|
|• Languages is optional at Key Stage 1.||• In the chosen modern language:• Speak
• Look at the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
• If an ancient language is chosen, read, translate and explore the culture of the time.
As children progress through school there are key milestones they are judged against and they are linked to age related expectations at these points in time. We have three key milestone points across the school. we aim for children to achieve. Milestone 1 is expected standard by the end of Year 2, Milestone 2 is the expected standard by the end of Year 4 and Milestone 3 is the expected standard by the end of Year6.
Please click on the link below for details of the learning milestones for languages.